Wednesday, December 15, 2010

“Christmas JOY” by Sr. Mary David Hydro, OSB

I was only half listening to the radio when I heard the announcement “Christmas Stocking”. Then I realized shockingly that it was play, book or movement called “Christmas Stopping” The idea of a psychologist is to stop Christmas as a holiday and thus end the holiday depression of those who yearly have unmet expectations re: gifts, family obligations, etc. After I finally tuned in to the commercial, I noted there was no mention of the real reason for Christmas, nor of the good times the holiday prompts of gathering together, celebrating and giving the gift of love and friendship.
What we may all well need isn’t the stopping of Christmas, but the deepened realization of the fact that Jesus is the reason for the season. God cared enough to send the very best–Jesus. Like him we each need to reach out, join in, celebrate faith, family, friendship, and to delight in where we are–simple as our setting may be. (Jesus came in a stable to poor shepherds.)

Christmas isn’t about shopping. Love and presence are the best gifts of all. Focus more on Jesus and others and less on yourself. That is the formula for JOY: Think first of Jesus, others and then yourself. Do this and you may discover that every day can be like Christmas–a celebration of God’s love!

Hearing that radio spot and reflecting on it made me remember St. Benedict’s “Seek God and prefer nothing to Christ” That surely is the opposite of the theme of stopping Christmas.

If you’d like to hear more of Benedict’s wisdom contact us about ways to be part of the “School of the Lord’s Service”

Benedictine Sisters
Holy Name Monastery
Box 2450
St. Leo, FL 33574
Phone: 352 588-8320

Website: http://www.floridabenedictines.com/

Prayerful best wishes to all for a JOY-filled Christmas & Blessings for a healthy, happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment