A College 101 class was getting a tour of our Monastery; a guy asked, "Don't you miss a Real life, Sister?" Other students laughed but maybe they had the same question.
I guess there are those who think the life of a Sister is quiet, lonely, boring. They don't know us or that the Monastic Community is a place of much activity. Despite what students may think; I don't just sit and wait for them to call, email or text me.
Sisters at our Monastery in St. Leo, FL work at the University, and the local food bank/thrift shop. They work in education and hospitality; one is even a para legal. You'll find Sisters working in the kitchen and garden, quilting, composting... All working/contributing. All take turns serving table/washing dishes; no matter their status all work together, from the prioress to the postulant. All work is considered sacred, and every person important.
I told that college student I thought my life is the Real life. It is a regular life of prayer and work (note: prayer comes first) This life is based on love/belief, on God. This life is rich in relations and care, free to respond to what is important in life: God, nurturing faith, being a living witness to the possibility and desirability of Community and Peace. Sharing, caring, serving, celebrating...(did I mention the good food and fun?)
Want a taste of the Real life? Visit the Benedictine Sisters of Florida at Holy Name Monastery visit for a day or stay a life time. It is a very Real life!
As the prophet Micah says: "This is what God asks doing justice, loving tenderly, walking humbly with our God" All that makes for a Real life.
For further information: Benedictine Sisters of Florida
Holy Name Monastery
Box 2450
St. Leo, FL 33574
Phone: 352 588-8320
Website: http://www.floridabenedictines.com/
Monday, September 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment