As a child I remember the sugar doughnuts Mom bought; I think they were called Monk Doughnuts. I still recall the quote on the side of the box:
Whatever you do, wherever you go, Brother,
keep your eye on the doughnut and not upon the hole.
It was a catchy ditty, but I didn’t understand it until I grew up.
In a class recently I held up a sheet of paper with a black dot in the center and asked a group of women what they saw. “A black dot” came the answer. “What else?” I questioned. All remained silent. I explained, “You’ve focused on the mark and completely missed the sheet of paper!”
Too often we focus on the disappointment, trial or hurt and forget the life full of blessings God lavishes on us.
Jesus wishes us to have “abundant life” but we must see/accept the gifts offered. Is your cup half full or half empty? “Your attitude determines your altitude,” another teacher once said. If we focus on the Lord and God’s blessings, we’ll see them multiply. They are there all the while but we may not see and so miss them. When we count our blessings and cultivate gratitude our eyesight improves and we see God’s gifts and God’s presence everywhere. “Seek God!” says St. Benedict in his Rule. Every thing, every person and event is a stepping stone to God.
Focus on Christ, his love/blessings. Even adversity has its blessing–as Joan Chittister, OSB, challenges, “What’s right with what’s wrong?” A trial may show us what is really important, deepen our strength and faith in God or help put things in perspective. So praise God for your blessings–it will make your life more satisfying than reviewing your complaints.
Keep your eyes on Jesus; keep your life in focus. Whatever you do–“keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole.”
Benedictine Sisters of Florida:
http://www.floridabenedictines.com/
or call: (352) 588-8320
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment