Friday, December 18, 2009

"The Choice Is Yours” by Sr. Mary David Hydro, OSB

The number of priests and Sisters is down. Why?

Times have changed from pre-Vatican ll days. The Church does not hold the same central place in a family’s social life today. Many youth are unchurched. Yet for the active/practicing Catholic, there are many more opportunities to serve in the Church than in years ago. Our society today offers many more temptations to materialism and individualism. Our busy lives can even keep God on “call waiting.”

I don’t think God is calling less persons to religious life today. You know what the Gospel says, “many are called but few are chosen”. When Jesus calls, people don’t always listen. Jesus is very respectful of our freedom, so he waits and wants us to make the choice to follow him. His is a daunting challenge. He wants all of us–no turning back if you choose to follow him. His is a call to holiness/wholeness, to really sharing his life by giving him All of yours.

He gives us the courage to follow him in the Eucharist and in community with Sisters. Will you dare to be open to the call? Can we help you listen and respond?

For further information check out
http://www.floridabenedictines.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thankyou for writing, i really like this post. It reminds me of a conversaiton i just recently had with a Sister. I asked her why a nun? and she told me she didn't know why exactly but 27 years later she doesn't regret a thing..... "I guess I had enough ups and downs to realize that all God wanted was my positive response and that's all He wants every moment. What we have to do is keep trying."

    I am 17 and have been thinking about religious life for over a year. It is really encouraging when you give us a challange to answer Christ even though we are scared. I actually have a post on my blog called "The choice is yours"

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete