The woman on the phone was confused. “I know God is calling me, but I don’t know what vocation He is calling me to. I’ve visited an apostolic group but they are all so busy they don’t even pray together sometimes. I could live in an apartment and serve the Church now–why be a Sister and do that? I have visited a cloister and that was too-–it just wasn’t me!” she admitted. “Tell me about your Benedictine community.” “We’re monastic,” I said,”we live in community together, celebrate Eucharist and Liturgy of the Hours daily and participate in varied ministries ranging from education to social work. We try to ‘feed the physical, spiritual, emotional and social hungers of the people of God”, I quoted from our Corporate Commitment. “Monastic means a balance of the active and contemplative life.”
“Wow!”she said, “that sounds like the best of both worlds!” “I think so!” I said, “Come and see!”
I recall that conversation when I think of the siblings at Bethany. The Gospel tells us Jesus loved both Martha and Mary. Often we’ve set them apart and compared them trying to say which is best or more important.
Jesus loved them both; we need to see it’s best to cultivate the part of us that is the active Martha AND the prayerful part that is Mary. They both welcomed and attended to Jesus. We, too, need to listen to Jesus, learn from him, grow in love/insight and serve him actively (and all those others who come with him). It’s all about mutuality–discovering the complementarity of the active/contemplative dimensions in our life. As a monastic it seems to me that this is the “best of both worlds”. What do you think? Come and see!
For a Vocation Discernment Retreat contact:
Holy Name Monastery - St. Leo, FL (352) 588-8320
email: vocation@saintleo.edu
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment